During the R2 and or R3 year, resident will rotate at the Texas Tech Permian Basin, Odessa, TX. for a geriatrics rotation. The primary purpose is to educate the residents on the art of caring for the elderly, disabled, and terminally ill patients.
Educational goals are:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the diagnosis and treatment of Geriatrics related problems.
- Demonstrate an understanding for the normal aging physiology, pharmacology, and sociology of the elderly patients.
- Recognize the common diseases of the elderly and when special geriatrics consultation is indicated.
- Assessment of functional performance from both a physiological and socio-medical perspective.
- Resident will provide competent, respectful and compassionate care of the elderly patients in all health care settings.
Residents will be exposed to inpatient hospice care, home based primary care, dedicated geriatrics lectures, and supervision by board-certified geriatricians.