What We Have to Offer
Benefits of William Beaumont Army Medical Center
Are you interested in a career in Internal Medicine or one of the Medicine subspecialties?
Are you looking for a smaller training program that offers you the fantastic hands-on opportunities?
Look no further than William Beaumont Army Medical Center in El Paso, TX. We train fantastic clinicians, ready to practice independently with confidence!
We would love to talk to you in person about the benefits of training in Internal Medicine at WBAMC. WBAMC may be less publicized than other military training medical centers, but Internal Medicine training in El Paso has a wealth of advantages:
- Hands On: There is no fellowship or competing primary care residency that gives the intern/resident great hands-on experience. You work first line with board certified internists and subspecialists. Many of our residents get to perform cardiac catheterizations and colonoscopies with our subspecialty faculty when on their electives as opposed to residents at training programs where fellows are doing these procedures. We also have a unique patient population since we partner with the local VA and provide inpatient services for all of our vets in the community.
- Civilian Residents: We accept both military and civilian applicants for residency training. Civilian applicants occupy a position funded by the VA without incurring any military obligation. The Veteran's Affair's Clinic in El Paso funds 3 civilian Internal Medicine residency positions per academic year for US citizen applicants. This added feature is perfect for dual career partnerships where only one of the partners is military. We accept applications through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) and participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Must be US Citizen to apply for VA Civilian position.
- Fantastic teaching staff: Our dedicated, enthusiastic teaching staff, are our program's greatest strength. Our smaller program size provides not only unique learning opportunities but also a chance to individually excel. You will not get lost in the crowd.
- Academics: Our program gives you the tools to excel in academic medicine or pursue a fellowship. We encourage our residents to be professionally active. 100% of our interns and residents are Associate members of the American College of Physicians. We have many of our residents presenting research at the Army ACP meeting annually. We have also had many residents publish in well-known journals including Circulation, Chest, and others.
- Innovative: All physicians at WBAMC will be issued laptop computers that will interface with our electronic record system. WBAMC has completely transitioned over to the new MHS Genesis EMR. Hospitalists have been incorporated into our program, to provide exposure to residents interested in this career path, to ensure full compliance with all duty hour restrictions and to ensure that teaching on Ward teams is maximized. This year call for R1's is no greater than q 6 nights on the Ward.
- Location, Location: El Paso is a marvelous place to work, play, and raise a family. Despite being the 22th largest city in the US, El Paso is one of the safest cities with a population > 500,000. There are a number of Blue Ribbon Schools and magnet high schools. Great weather translates into great outdoor opportunities year round golfing, biking, and some of the best rock climbing in the world. If snow is what you miss, the ski slopes in New Mexico offer fantastic opportunities. El Paso boasts professional baseball (minor league Chihuahuas Team), hockey, soccer, rugby and NCAA Division 1 sports (University of Texas-El Paso). Living right on the border of Mexico offers great cultural experiences and authentic Mexican food.
A personal visit to El Paso would be ideal. Students who do visit are impressed by the quality of our facility, staff and the enthusiasm of our house staff. A smaller program lends itself to developing lifelong friendships. Every trainee and their family are important.
Please contact me if you are interested in pursuing a clinical rotation or interview trip. If you can't visit, and are interested in training at WBAMC, please contact us. We would love to have the opportunity to speak to you in person. Hasta la Vista!