The WBAMC Optometry Service provides quality optometric care to active duty soldiers, retirees and their dependents beginning at age five.
Office of the Chief
Chief of Optometry Service: 915-742-2229
NCOIC, Optometry Service: 915-742-3166
Optometry Services Available
- Provide all primary care to patients as it relates to the eyes and vision.
- Perform diagnosis of visual and ocular problems through external and internal physical evaluation of the eyes and surrounding structures.
- Treat visual disorders through the prescription of corrective lenses, vision training, and pharmacological means as indicated.
- Provide emergency eye care services from the hours of 0700-1600, (M-F excluding holidays) including diagnosis and treatment of ophthalmic trauma and other eye-related pathologies. For emergency ocular care outside these hours, all TRICARE beneficiaries are directed to the emergency room.
- Clinic hours 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM M-F.
- 1. TRICARE covers “Medically Indicated Contact Lenses” only for treatment of:
- Infantile glaucoma
- Corneal or scleral lenses for treatment of keratoconus
- Scleral lenses to retain moisture when normal tearing is not present or is inadequate
- Corneal or scleral lenses to reduce corneal irregularities other than astigmatism
- Adjustments and repairs for eyeglasses may be done on military eyeglasses only
- Walk-ins for military physicals are between the hours of 7 - 11 AM and 12:30 - 3 PM.
Infant / Children Exam Policy
A parent or guardian must be present for examination of any person under 18. We recommend only the child being examined be present in the exam room with an appropriate guardian. If the above is not followed, the decision of whether or not the exam will continue is up to the provider. Please understand this is not only a safety precaution to staff and equipment, but also allows us to give the patient the attention they deserve and continue providing World Class eye care."
Information on alternate child care information provided by Fort Bliss can be found at the following link: https://webtrac.mwr.army.mil/webtrac/blisscyms.html.
For appointments, call 915-742-CARE(2273) or book online through tricareonline.com