Current COVID-19 Risk Level: LOW - Click Here for WBAMC Policies

Getting Care

Information for New Parents

Patient administration and services top header image

When will my child need a Social Security Number?

Your child will need a SSN before your child’s first birthday. You may elect to have the State of Texas process the SSN for you. If so; it will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks for the card to arrive via the mail.

If you elect to process the SSN on your own you will need to purchase a certified certificate, and proceed to one of the local Social Security offices listed below. You may also process the SSN in another state. Visit the Social Security Administration web site for more information.

Social Security Administration Local Field Office

11111 Gateway West
El Paso, TX 79935
600 Texas Avenue
El Paso, TX 79901

Single Parents

For information pertaining to the Acknowledgment of Paternity, please contact the Birth Certificate Clerk as soon as possible. 915-742-2503 / 3375

WIC Information

WIC is a nutrition program that helps pregnant women, new mothers, and young children eat well, learn about nutrition, and stay healthy. Nutrition education and counseling, nutritious foods, and help accessing health care are provided to low-income women, infants, and children through the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program, popularly known as WIC.

WIC will require proof of birth. You will need to use the arm bands and discharge papers for both the mother and child. Additional information may be found with the Texas Department of State Health Services.

Immunizations Tracking System

If you have requested your child’s Immunization information to be included in the IMMTRAC Electronic Data System, you need to call IMMTRAC’s Voice Response System 1-800 252-9152 when you are in need of that information.

DEERS Information

You may obtain a Memorandum for Proof of Birth on your newborn from the Birth Registration Office for DEERS enrollment. The form is released after the parent(s) have signed the birth certificate. All eligible newborn infants must be enrolled in the DEERS system before the two-week Well Baby appointment.

To enroll your new infant in DEERS, you will need:
  1. Memorandum for Proof of Birth
  2. Your ID card
  3. A general power of attorney if the sponsor is not available
Enrollment in DEERS is done at the ID card section of Bldg. 500A 915 568-2000. Children must be enrolled in the DEERS system.

Eligibility for TRICARE Prime Benefits

The DEERS check is an essential part of the TRICARE enrollment process.

Contact Us


915-742-2503 / 3375 or
Appointment line: 915-742-2273
TRICARE Nurse Advice Line:​ 1-800-874-2273

MHS Genesis Patient Portal image


18511 Highland Medics Street,
El Paso, Texas 79918
Locator map image

Need to Update Your Information in DEERS? Click Here